For some time now I wanted to make the challenge of turning a piece bought at a thrift store into something new. I had seen several videos about it on Youtube.
So I finally decided to take the paper project and venture into the sewing machine. It was the first time I went to Value Village, a very large thrift store here in Canada.
Incidentally, the idea of this store is very interesting. They buy clothes that charities receive as donation. There they separate what is in good condition and sell at very affordable prices.
For my project I was inspired by a skirt I saw Lindsay Lohan using:
By the time I saw that skirt (actually, Lindsay's looks like a dress) I knew I would have to try something similar and since I would face the challenge of turning something from the store into something new I decided it was time to put my plan In practice.
And there I went exploring to Value Village. After walking around the store panning for interesting things, I came face to face with this Forever 21 skirt and thought it would be great to make a floral-themed piece. Spring feellings, lol.
So I looked for a jeans skirt and found this:
The two skirts costed $ 4.90 each.
DIY Jeans Skirt with Floral
To make the same skirt you need a knit or cloth skirt in the length you want, a tight denim skirt, sewing machine, pins and rick-rack (for the finish).
1. The first step is to find the perfect point to sew the two skirts. Place one over the other and position them so that the curls meet at some point.
2. Secure with a pin in the position you want.
3. Mark where you will cut the outer skirt.
4. Mark the inner skirt where it will cut it and also at what point it should be sewn to the outer skirt.
5. Cut the two skirts.
6. Fasten one skirt on the other inside out using pins.
7. Sew the two skirts inside out.
8. If you want to hide the seam, use something to cover the area, like a ribbon or a rick-rack, like I did.
And this is the end result of my DIY skirt. If you liked my sweater, You can buy it in my store..